Monday, February 5, 2007

The Power of Words

I've been studying this a lot for the past few months. It seems like God keeps prompting me in this area with some sometimes not-so-subtle hints. Although in my head, I could spout off lots of 'knowledge' of how this stuff works, to say that I've come to a point where I fully understand it would be more than a stretch. But it's starting to sink in - you know - way down deep inside where it counts, where it's planted & can begin to sprout. I'm finally starting to get it, and to realize how much I NEED to get it. There are lots of areas in my life where I think I'm doing myself more damage than good just because of what I let come out of my mouth. Complaints, whining, venting, anger, frustration...all pouring out with all I have to say. I guess, to sum it up, it's become clear to me that this has been impacting my children, my parenting, my marriage, my finances, and on and on. Something tells me I won't be moving on to a new topic for quite a while. But that's okay - stick with it until you get it. Not convinced that it's that big of a deal? You don't have to look any further than a few verses in Proverbs to see that it's a big deal to God.

Proverbs 10:14 - IN the multitude of words there wants not sin: but he that refrains his lips is wise.

Proverbs 13:3 - He that keeps his mouth keeps his life: but he that opens wide his lips shall have destruction.

Proverbs 18:20 - A man's belly shall be satisfied with the fruit of his mouth; and with the increase of his lips shall he be filled. (ever heard the saying, you eat your own words...???)

Proverbs 18:21 - Death and life are in the power of the tongue; and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

How powerful is that? Death and life are in the POWER of the tongue. That verse alone is enough to convince me that this area is worth focusing on. And, not only that, but focus on it and stick with it until I GET it!

1 comment:

Deidra Faith said...

You're killing me here, Becky!!! Although I have to say that despite my day, I did try to watch what I said and how I said it. Doesn't always happen that way though!

These are just my thoughts on things related to my daily walk with God. I've always been a journal-keeper, and this is the area that demands most of the space in every journal I've ever kept. This is my passion, and I hope that by sharing my thoughts on the things I'm going through, I might be able to bless you in some way. Enjoy.