Thursday, February 8, 2007

Filter

Ephesians 4 is now one of the most written-on chapters of my entire Bible. A few weeks ago in church, our pastor did an entire service around this one chapter of the Bible - a chapter I had never read, truthfully. But, Holy Moly, what a powerful section of God's word. His design for his church - for the way we are all to fit together, to work together, to build up the church, and to BE the BODY of Christ. So, although I had never even read it, after hearing it taught, I came home and read & reread it. There's so much to take in and try to understand.

But of all of it, one verse stands out to me above all the others. Maybe because I can immediately and directly apply it to my life RIGHT NOW and know that I will see instant IMPROVEMENT in my quality of living. Check it out:
  • Ephesians 4:29 - Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying (building up), that it may minister grace unto the hearers. (King James Version)

Want it in a more straight-forward way? Here's what the New Living Translation says:

  • Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.

What if I applied that filter to everything I ever said? If I made sure that I said everything in a way that was good, helpful, and encouraging to anyone who might hear me talking? If it's not one of those three things, SHUT UP! What a difference that could make, not only in the way I speak, but in the quality of my life. So, I gave it a shot.

In the past few weeks, as I've made this a focus - applied this filter to the way I speak to Lucas and to the kids - I can honestly say, without a doubt, we've had fewer irritations & arguments. The kids have responded in SUCH a positive way and have been easier to discipline and steer back on-course when they get a little crazy. I've seen more joy and affection coming out of Isaac (in particular) than I've seen for quite a while. And, in general, I have felt just a greater peacefulness in my spirit - a step up in my level of happiness, I would call it.

Give it some thought. Give it a shot. See if applying this filter to your mouth makes a difference in your life. I believe it will. It can't hurt to try, right?

No comments:

These are just my thoughts on things related to my daily walk with God. I've always been a journal-keeper, and this is the area that demands most of the space in every journal I've ever kept. This is my passion, and I hope that by sharing my thoughts on the things I'm going through, I might be able to bless you in some way. Enjoy.