Saturday, February 3, 2007

Humble Pie for Breakfast

This was brought to my attention for the first time just this past Friday. Did you know that after Jesus - King of kings, Lord of everything - died on the cross and rose from the dead, he sought out some of his disciples, and - get this - MADE THEM BREAKFAST. When I really thought about that, I realized how completely SELFLESS that was! He made no scene. He asked for no fanfare. He just found them after a hard night of work, and thought they might be hungry. They might need something to eat. So he cooked for them and served them breakfast. He SERVED them...picked up right where he left off - see a need, meet a need. Serve others. Be a constant blessing to others.

Wow! What a comparison to my own behavior. Brutally honest - I'm sure that at some point the thought would have entered my mind, at a minimum, that 'I just died to save you. I miraculously rose from the dead. At least a thank you would be nice.' I'm not so certain I would have sat on the banks, built a fire & started skinning fish for someone else. Nope, pretty sure I wouldn't have - I'm not much for skinning fish really. I may have gone to the banks, and stood their waiting to see how long it took them to recognize me - waiting to see their faces when they realized who I was. Yup, that's probably a lot closer to reality for me. Looks like I've got quite a way to go before I've reached the UNBELIEVABLE perfect behavior Jesus models for us in John 13. But for the grace of God.....

1 comment:

Deidra Faith said...

I am totally with you on that! I KNOW I would have never thought to have made breakfast. I'm pretty sure I would have been looking for a thank you too. I'm pretty sure that's why God picked His Son to do it instead of any of us. Even of my most humble of days, I'm pretty sure if I had died for someone and rose again, I'd want a little fanfare. Just reminds us that we didn't deserve what He did...but He wanted to do it. He did it FOR us...not BECAUSE of us. Sometimes that's hard to wrap our minds around but when things are mentioned like that, reminds me of how powerful and unconditional His love truly is!

These are just my thoughts on things related to my daily walk with God. I've always been a journal-keeper, and this is the area that demands most of the space in every journal I've ever kept. This is my passion, and I hope that by sharing my thoughts on the things I'm going through, I might be able to bless you in some way. Enjoy.