Sunday, February 25, 2007

A Little Reminder

Today in church I had a different experience. Pastor Mark was talking, and I noticed a lady slip up the isle and head to the altar off to the side. She knelt there alone - no altar call had been made - she just came. Pastor Mark continued to talk - approaching the close of the message, when all of a sudden I felt this unexplainable urge to go kneel with the lady at the altar. "You've got to be kidding," was the first thing I thought, followed immediately by "I can't do that. He's still talking, and I'm sitting in the center isle." But, because God's funny like that, He just wouldn't seem to let it drop. I tried to ignore it, but, because of some of the stuff I've been recently walking through, I knew I couldn't. So, while the pastor was still talking, I slipped up the middle isle, across the front of the church, and knelt with a woman I had never met.

I'm not telling you this to tell you how great I am for doing such a 'holy' thing or anything remotely of the kind. In fact, I really really struggled with this, and almost chose to blatantly ignore God because I was uncomfortable doing what He was requesting (ahhh, so many lessons!), which is hardly something to brag about. But I wanted to share this with you because it ended in such an awesome way.

At the end of it all, the lady (who introduced herself as Kim) told me that she was there because she had been trying to follow God's lead in her life, trying to do what she thought He was asking of her, and in the process she was losing friends - she said they were 'dropping like flies.' She was up there praying for someone to help her through it, just to be by her side and give her a boost. She said it was like an immediate answer to her prayer when she felt a hand on her back. I almost fell over (not literally, but you know what I mean). I was instantly reminded that 1) God is faithful and does not abandon us in hard times, 2) He hears our prayers, and 3) He provides what we need in just the right timing - His timing. He's AWESOME. It was a reminder to me that God is BIG ENOUGH, and He just does awesome things.

No comments:

These are just my thoughts on things related to my daily walk with God. I've always been a journal-keeper, and this is the area that demands most of the space in every journal I've ever kept. This is my passion, and I hope that by sharing my thoughts on the things I'm going through, I might be able to bless you in some way. Enjoy.