Tuesday, May 1, 2007

His Choice

I had a moment of realization the other day in the car. A moment where the reality of what I had always taken for granted actually registered in my brain, and I understood more clearly the depth of something I had always just kind of skimmed over.

What Jesus did for us - His life He modeled as a man, His sacrifice, His death and resurrection - was all done in FREE WILL.

Something that was on the radio in the van caused me to pause for a moment and really grasp that very simple - and should-be-obvious thing. He did it out of free will. It wasn't easy for Him. He struggled with the human element. He suffered in agony, even before the acts of torture and crucifixion began. And He suffered more still on the cross. He was laughed at, taunted, mocked, hated. At any time, He could have changed the course of His actions - saved Himself from the pain, proved Himself in front of those who mocked Him. And STILL, He chose to see it through. He was free to choose to follow His Father's will or His own.

For me, just that one moment of pausing and reflecting on the reality of His own free will, gave me a much deeper respect and appreciation for what He did. It is no small thing, but I think sometimes we (at least I) get so used to hearing 'Jesus died for our sins' that I don't see it for all that it really was (and is). I am thankful that I was given this moment to realize the depth of what He did.

  • And He withdrew from them about a stone's throw and knelt down and prayed, saying Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not My will, but always Yours be done. And there appeared to Him an angel from heaven, strengthening Him in spirit. And being in agony of mind, He prayed all the more earnestly and intently, and His sweat became like great clots of blood dropping down upon the ground. (Luke 22:41-44)

No comments:

These are just my thoughts on things related to my daily walk with God. I've always been a journal-keeper, and this is the area that demands most of the space in every journal I've ever kept. This is my passion, and I hope that by sharing my thoughts on the things I'm going through, I might be able to bless you in some way. Enjoy.