Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Father Abraham

This same story keeps coming into my thoughts over and over again today. So as I was eating lunch, I sat down and looked it up in the book of Genesis. Abraham. Even before I began my own study of the Bible, I knew about Abraham from a song we sang in church when I was little..."Father Abraham had many sons; Many sons had Father Abraham. I am one of them, and so are you. So let's all praise the Lord." (Now you'll be singing that song all day like I am!) Here's what I know from that song. Abraham was a man of God, and God blessed him greatly with a long line of descendants. But why?

Genesis 12:1-2 - Now [in Haran] the Lord said to Abram, go for yourself away from your country, from your relatives and your father's house, to the land that I will show you. And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you [with abundant increase of favors] and make your name famous and distinguished, and you will be a blessing [dispensing good to others].

Leave everything you know and go to the land that I will show you. Abraham didn't even know where he was going when he went. He loved God that much that he was obedient, completely relying on God for guidance and direction for each next step in his life. '[Urged on] by faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed and went forth to a place which he was destined to receive as an inheritance; and he went, although he did not know or trouble his mind about where he was to go' (Hebrews 11:8). He didn't even worry about where he was going, the Bible says. Abraham had completely abandoned himself to God. And as a result, God rewarded him beyond measure.

While I know that Abraham was a special man in God's eyes, I also believe that Abraham is an illustration of a Biblical truth: ' ... that He is the rewarder of those who earnestly and diligently seek Him' (Hebrews 11:6). I believe that God wants to bless each one of us in ways we cannot imagine, just as He blessed Abraham. He is a rewarder of those who seek Him. So, again, I see the relevance of my choices. My own relationship with God, and the level of blessing and favor in my life, depends on my willingness to choose Him over all else.

Being urged by faith, I will follow Him to wherever He leads, not having all (or any) of the answers before I go, and I will not trouble my mind about it. I know that God loves me. I know that He wants only good for me. I know that He is God, and He is above all things. So, I know that I can trust Him and follow where He leads. To Him I abandon my life.

No comments:

These are just my thoughts on things related to my daily walk with God. I've always been a journal-keeper, and this is the area that demands most of the space in every journal I've ever kept. This is my passion, and I hope that by sharing my thoughts on the things I'm going through, I might be able to bless you in some way. Enjoy.