Wednesday, August 1, 2007

My friend the atheist

A friend of mine is an atheist. This is something I've known about him for almost as long as I've known him. Shortly after we met, we got into a discussion about churches, and at that time, it came out in conversation that he doesn't believe in God, and he has nothing to do with the church or any established religion. While I was sad for him, this did not change how I felt about him, and we continued as friends.

Since then, we've had one or two serious discussions about God, the possibility of God, and what / why I believe what I believe. He has raised questions and doubts that stand firmly in his way to accepting that there could be a God, and while I've done what I can to share what I know, I admittedly do not have all the answers. I only know that what I know is enough for me to hold fast to what I believe.

About three months ago, I came across the book A Case for Faith by Lee Strobel (I know I've share that with you a bit before). As I was glancing through the table of contents, reading the titles of the chapters, it was like reading off a list of my friend's questions and concerns. I bought the book, hoping that it may help me be able to better understand the arguments for and against, and hopefully ultimately better equip me to be able to share what I know and believe.

About three weeks ago or so, I gave him a copy of the student version of A Case for Faith. I wasn't entirely sure that he would read it, or even keep it for that matter, but I hoped. Today, I learned that he has read the first chapter and has stopped. He won't go on because he has a list of questions already and wants to get them addressed before he continues.

I have to admit, I was filled with conflicting emotions. First, I was thrilled to learn that he had even considered the book, let alone started reading it. That was quickly followed by questions in my own head - will I be able to adequately answer him or explain well enough what I believe and know? Do I know enough of the Bible? Am I the person to be doing this?

Well, I'm continually learning that when I'm attacked with fear and doubt, the first action is prayer. So immediately, I turned to God and said, 'Look God, this is what I know. I know that You love this person more than I, or anyone else, could ever begin to understand. I know that You would love to see him acknowledge You, accept You, love You. I believe You led me to that book. I believe I was obedient to You in sharing the book with Him. And You have been faithful in opening him up to reading it and considering it. I also know that You will never ask of me something that I cannot do.' That alone was enough to subside my fears. Instead of focusing on what I don't know, I changed my focus to what I do know.

I alone am wholly inadequate to answer my friend's questions or to convince him of the existence of an Almighty God. I alone am short on knowledge and understanding. I am not the most eloquent speaker. I am not the most theologically sound person. But I am his friend, and I love him. And I love God, and I know He exists in a way that cannot be taken from me with shades of doubt. And I know, because the Bible says, that God goes with us into difficult situations. I know that He gives His peace, His wisdom, His understanding. I know that He directs our paths, and I know that He will give me the right words to say if I will only lean on Him. And above all, while I am wholly inadequate, not eloquent, and short on knowledge, God is wholly adequate and capable in every way. I'm not doing this for me, and I'm not doing this alone. He is my strength, and He is sufficient for every situation.

No comments:

These are just my thoughts on things related to my daily walk with God. I've always been a journal-keeper, and this is the area that demands most of the space in every journal I've ever kept. This is my passion, and I hope that by sharing my thoughts on the things I'm going through, I might be able to bless you in some way. Enjoy.