Friday, May 30, 2008

For these 3 things alone?

When they had eaten, Jesus said to Simon Peter, Simon, son of John, do you love Me more than these [others do--with reasoning, intentional, spiritual devotion, as one loves the Father]? He said to Him, Yes, Lord, You know that I love You [that I have deep, instinctive, personal affection for You, as for a close friend]. He said to him, Feed My lambs.

Again He said to him the second time, Simon, son of John, do you love Me [with reasoning, intentional, spiritual devotion, as one loves the Father]? He said to Him, Yes, Lord, You know that I love You [that I have a deep, instinctive, personal affection for You, as for a close friend]. He said to him, Shepherd (tend) My sheep.

He said to him the third time, Simon, son of John, do you love Me [with a deep, instinctive, personal affection for Me, as for a close friend]? Peter was grieved (was saddened and hurt) that He should ask him the third time, Do you love Me? And he said to Him, Lord, You know everything; You know that I love You [that I have a deep, instinctive, personal affection for You, as for a close friend]. Jesus said to him, Feed My sheep.

I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, when you were young you girded yourself [put on your own belt or girdle] and you walked about wherever you pleased to go. But when you grow old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will put a girdle around you and carry you where you do not wish to go. He said this to indicate by what kind of death Peter would glorify God. And after this, He said to him, Follow Me!

But Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved, following...When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, Lord, what about this man? Jesus said to him, If I want him to stay (survive, live) until I come, what is that to you? [What concern is it of yours?] You follow Me! (John 21: 15-22)

Look at the way Jesus wants us to love Him:

  • with reasoning
  • intentional spiritual devotion
  • as one loves the Father
  • with deep, personal affection
  • as a close friend

As I was reading through this passage time and time again, I listened from Peter's perspective. What if Jesus told me today that I would certainly suffer an unpleasant death, and that He was not going to deliver me from that suffering, but that, instead, I would be asked to endure it for the glory of God? That's a pretty difficult thing to wrap my mind around, if I'm being honest. Really, I don't know about you, but I've always kind of had this idea that, as a child of God, I should be protected and exempted from suffering. Even though I know that's not what the Bible says, it still seems like it should be that way. Doesn't it? I mean, Jesus has been given all authority in heaven and on earth. As His own child, why wouldn't He step in and put a stop to the suffering?

This, in several forms, is a basic question that many non-believers offer up as a challenge to even the possibility that God exists. I've faced such questions myself, as unbelieving friends have challenged me to defend my faith. "If God is real, why..." Why do children die? Why do bad things happen? Why do Christians suffer? Why? Why? Why?

And it seems like Peter, in a less direct way, is asking the same thing of Jesus. "Well, what about that guy? Is he going to have to suffer? Why me? Why?"

Jesus knew that this was going to be a difficult pill for Peter to swallow. Look how He prefaces the topic. "Peter, Do you love Me? Do you love Me? Do you love Me?" Peter, do your life circumstances determine your willingness to serve Me? Or do you serve Me because you love Me? Will you love Me - will you follow Me - even if there are painful trials? Even if it seems someone else has it better?

Do you love Me with an intense, intentional, spiritual devotion; with a deep personal affection, as you love a close friend; love Me as one loves the Father? Do you love Me?

Then, because you love Me, follow Me. Live out your life as unto Me; be about My business here on earth while I am away. Use the time given to you to further the kingdom of heaven...in spite of circumstances. Don't follow Me because of what I can do for you - not for how you might benefit from knowing Me. Follow Me because you love Me; because I am God. Follow Me!

[After all] the kingdom of God is not a matter of [getting the] food and drink [one likes], but instead it is righteousness (that state which makes a person acceptable to God) and [heart] peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. (Romans 14:17)

The kingdom of God is righteousness, peace and joy. These three things Jesus died to give us -

  • right standing with God,
  • peace that passes understanding,
  • and joy unspeakable.

These three things alone. I should have no other preconceived idea of what I will gain from following Jesus. This is not to say that God will not poor out blessings upon my life - upon the lives of those who love Him; it is not to say that He is an absent, removed God who does not protect and care for His children. It is simply this: At the root of my faith, am I willing to accept Him, to love Him, to follow Him, based on the kingdom Jesus died to make available to me? Am I willing to follow Him, love Him, and if need be suffer for Him, for these three things alone?

Is my God enough for me?

Yes.

No comments:

These are just my thoughts on things related to my daily walk with God. I've always been a journal-keeper, and this is the area that demands most of the space in every journal I've ever kept. This is my passion, and I hope that by sharing my thoughts on the things I'm going through, I might be able to bless you in some way. Enjoy.