Friday, May 16, 2008

Few and far between

It seems my blog posts here are getting fewer and farther between as time goes on. This is NOT intentional. I've been wanting to post for weeks. The problem when you have a brain that works the way mine works...if I don't sit down and post it right away, after a while I just sort of move on. Sad, isn't it? Welcome into the head of a slightly-adult-ADD girl like me! So now I have a journal full of things that I've not shared, and they feel 'old' to me now. (Another side effect of having a quirky mind like mine...I internalize things quickly and get bored easily. So after I've thought it through and processed it, I just sort of move on???)

Anyway, I have had a very busy few weeks, and I've been living life very last-minute...getting somewhere just as it starts, or maybe a few minutes late; getting things done in the last possible moment; jumping from one task to the next to the next without having time to pause or get ahead. Today seems to be shaping up in much the same way already, since I have way more to do today than hours in the day. So I say a prayer for God's grace to rest on me, so that I can work efficiently and with ease.

Not surprisingly, God has, in the last few days, brought some correction to me in this aspect of my life. It is not the best way to go about life, being always rushed, doing the bare minimum. God's plan for us is to live lives of excellence, and to enjoy the life we are living (not watch it go by in a blur!). Anyhow, His correction came through a story in the Bible that I have known since childhood - the story of Martha & Mary.

Luke 10:38-42 - Now while they were on their way, it occurred that Jesus entered a certain village, and a woman named Martha received and welcomed Him into her house. And she had a sister named Mary, who seated herself at the Lord's feet and was listening to His teaching. But Martha, overly occupied and too busy, was distracted with much serving; and she came up to Him and said, Lord, is it nothing to You that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me! But the Lord replied to her by saying, Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things; There is need of only one or but few things. Mary has chosen the good portion that which is to her advantage, which shall not be taken away from her.

Martha was not doing wrong - she was serving the Lord. The problem was that she was too busy serving to take time to enjoy what she was doing. Why was she so busy? Probably the same reason I get busy - because I fail to adequately prepare ahead of time, and my chores ends up invading the time I should be enjoying. Poor time management. Doesn't sound super spiritual, but it can be the difference between enjoying life or rushing through it, having time to enjoy those around me or feeling to busy to give them my attention, receiving from the Lord or missing what He has for me.

As I go through the day today, with so much to do to get ready for weekend guests, I want to keep this story at the forefront of my mind. It is good to serve, but it is not the most important thing. There is need of only one or a few things, and I want to focus on that. Lord help me get this.

No comments:

These are just my thoughts on things related to my daily walk with God. I've always been a journal-keeper, and this is the area that demands most of the space in every journal I've ever kept. This is my passion, and I hope that by sharing my thoughts on the things I'm going through, I might be able to bless you in some way. Enjoy.