Saturday, April 9, 2011

Life Support

I had this random thought one night about a month or so ago. I dismissed it at first as just one of those weird little blips of oddness that tend to run through my head, but it keeps popping up in my thoughts every now and then, so I'm thinking there's something more to it.

So here was my weird thought...

Arsenic. Antibiotics. Vitamins. Life Support.

See, I told you I'm random. :)

Arsenic - There are some who see God as arsenic - poison to their lifestyle, and something to be avoided at all cost. Stay away. Steer clear. Definitely do not ingest.

Antibiotics - Some will allow some measure of God in their lives, but they wait until they are desperately ill and in need of a quick fix. Then they take God like an antibiotic, hoping He will get their lives back on track so that they can move on with life as usual. Antibiotic users take their medicine only long enough to feel better. It is not a long-term, regular part of life. Once the desired effects have been achieved, the antibiotics are discontinued until otherwise needed.

Vitamins - Vitamins are a daily, or almost-daily, part of life. Those who take vitamins tend to do so on a regular basis. They do so because they recognize that taking those vitamins makes them healthier, stronger overall. It is a habit that must be formed and maintained. It can, however, be abandoned if the individual should forget or run out of time. There will be time later to take the vitamins. It probably won't matter much if one should miss a day or two, or maybe even a week or two, of vitamins. Life goes on, although perhaps with slightly less energy and umph.

Life Support - One who relies on life support relies on it whole-heartedly. There is no survival apart from life support. It is vital for maintaining all aspects of life. An individual surrendered to life support cannot, for even a moment, set it aside as a matter of convenience or time. That life support cannot be separated from the individual, nor the individual from the life support. It is complete and total reliance on. It is remaining. It is permanent. It is always. Constant. Complete.

I've been thinking about this.

I want to be a Life Support Christian.

3 comments:

Deidra Faith said...

Hope you don't mind but I'm going to share this on my blog. Definitely got me thinking! Love ya, girl!

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Southern California

I added myself to follow your blog.
I invite you to visit and follow my blog.

God Bless You :-)

Katie Roberta Stevens said...

As we age, we face shared overwhelming challenges. I wrote this poem after having to make the decision to remove a dear friend from life support. I hope it helps anyone facing a similar predicament.

My Apology
(By Katie Roberta Stevens)



When was I given the almighty power to disconnect a life with one wave of my hand?


When did a lowly soul like me get appointed to decide if someone is no longer a man?


When did it become evident that whether a person lives or dies is a choice?


When did the words of the creator get whispered in my ear and out my own voice?


When did I grow from a child who looked up with such love and admiration at this face?
To become the protector and receiver of the bewildered, helpless eyes that somehow took its place?


I will tell you on what glorious day this miracle occurred; In fact, it was on the day that I was begun.
During a glistening season of radiance that ensured there was a time for everything under the sun.


When the one who built me from scratch made certain that I was a loving soul


And put within me an innate understanding that a body does not make us whole;
When the same power nourished me, until it was then my turn, to keep you safe from harm;


And gave me broad shoulders, muscled by life, to carry and provide safe passage to his loving arms


When he instilled the intellect and emotion and compassion to help me finally see


That sometimes the fight, the will, the interventions, were not so much for you, as for me;


Because despite all the gifts and powers and senses bequeathed to me at my human birth;


I was not given the foresight and selflessness to imagine daily living without you on my earth;


But prayerful reflection and a brilliant epiphany have helped me to finally know;


That I am just the Lord’s cherished vessel to be used to help you go.


Father, forgive me, now, for I know not what I do.

How dare I cry aloud when I am sending your child home to you?

These are just my thoughts on things related to my daily walk with God. I've always been a journal-keeper, and this is the area that demands most of the space in every journal I've ever kept. This is my passion, and I hope that by sharing my thoughts on the things I'm going through, I might be able to bless you in some way. Enjoy.