Friday, March 14, 2008

Authority

I love it when I begin to get a revelation of the truth of things I know in my head. A few weeks ago as I was studying, I read something that brought on one of those kinds of moments. What I was reading was actually on a completely different topic, but for some reason, it was like a crack opened in my understanding of God's authority. I caught just a glimpse of a piece of the whole truth, and not wanting to lose it, I grabbed my journal and started writing. Basically as I finished writing, I ran out of quiet time to read or study any further. I put my journal aside, and went on about my day.

Later that night, I was drawn back to what I had written earlier. As I prayed about what it was that God was trying to show me, piece after piece of the bigger picture began to fall into place. It was nothing I didn't know in my head, but to have a realization of the truth of it in the depths of my spirit was awesome.

I was given just a small glimpse of His true authority -
  • to forgive
  • to redeem
  • to restore
  • to heal
  • to offer eternal life
  • to break down strongholds
  • to cast out demons
  • authority over time itself
  • authority over life and death

I knew as I finished praying that, if I could just get this, really internalize it and let it alter my understanding of Him, it could have a HUGE impact on my life. If I could only realize, recognize, and accept as truth His authority in every area of existence, how could I ever allow doubt to overpower my faith in Him? There would be no room for doubt - it would have to be choked out simply by the depth of my belief. That's awesome to think about!

As I look back over this list that I jotted down in my prayer time, I can't help but see that He has authority in every area that we seem to struggle with in faith. Forgiveness, for example. It's so hard to understand why He would forgive some of the things I've done or thought or said. It's so difficult to accept that He would be willing to do that when I've done nothing to deserve forgiveness. And I know I'm not alone in feeling this way - if we really accepted forgiveness, there wouldn't be so many of us trapped by our pasts, trying to do enough to earn what He is offering. We may not understand why He would so freely forgive, but He does it because He wants to and because can - He has the authority to forgive.

Just think about that in each area I wrote down - how His authority makes possible all the things that don't otherwise make sense. As I thought about it more and more, I got a desire to look up every scripture I could find that discussed His authority. What I found was incredible. Jesus did many things during His time on earth so that we would be able to understand and accept that He has authority over all those things that trouble us - to allow us a wide open door to have faith in Him and believe in Him completely. He spoke with authority. He healed to demonstrate His authority. He died and rose again for the sake of authority. There is definitely not a shortage of verses discussing His authority, but one passage in particular completely captivates me.

1 Corinthians 15:24-28 - After that comes the end (the completion), when He delivers over the kingdom to God the Father after rendering inoperative and abolishing every [other] rule and every authority and power. For [Christ] must be King and reign until He has put all [His] enemies under His feet. The last enemy to be subdued and abolished is death. For He [the Father] has put all things in subjection under His [Christ's] feet. ...However, when everything is subjected to Him, then the Son Himself will also subject Himself to [the Father] Who put all things under Him, so that God may be all in all [be everything to everyone, supreme, the indwelling and controlling factor of life].

His authority in all things is what allows Him to accomplish His purpose for all men - the way to salvation is made available; darkness is defeated; death is rendered powerless; and God the Father is glorified as the 'all in all' - the indwelling and controlling factor of life.

No comments:

These are just my thoughts on things related to my daily walk with God. I've always been a journal-keeper, and this is the area that demands most of the space in every journal I've ever kept. This is my passion, and I hope that by sharing my thoughts on the things I'm going through, I might be able to bless you in some way. Enjoy.