Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Speak Life

For the last 2 days now, I've been writing out long-hand the scriptures that I've collected regarding healing. I wanted to have them all in one place to look at collectively instead of having to flip back and forth to read them. I'm only about half way through writing them out, but I'm already seeing a few patterns emerge. The one that stands out to me the most is our words.

I know I've written before about the impact our words can have on our lives...but I'm going to write it again. There are a few verses that I wanted to share today.

  • He sends forth His word and heals them and rescues them from the pit and destruction. (Psalm 107:20)
  • My son, attend to my words; consent and submit to my sayings.
    Let them not depart from your sight; keep them in the center of your heart.
    For they are life to those who find them, healing and health to all their flesh.
    (Proverbs 4:20-22)
  • Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and they who indulge in it shall eat the fruit of it [for death or life]. (Proverbs 18:21)

He sends forth His word and heals them. I can see a few ways to take that, and I think both ways are truth. First, God speaks healing. When God speaks, things happen. God spoke creation. He speaks us into being, and He speaks forth our healing.

Secondly, God's word brings healing. But what does that mean? Well, the Bible is God's word. Jesus is also called the Word of God - the living word, the word come to life. Both are God's word. Both have been sent by God. Both have the power to heal. If we want to truly see healing, I'd say we need both. We need a relationship with Jesus, abiding in Him and trusting Him. And we need God's word - the Bible. We need to know what it says about us, and about Him - who He is, how He is, what He is.

If the power of life and death is in the tongue, and if God's words are life and healing, then it seems to follow that we ought to speak (not just think or believe, but SPEAK) God's word over our lives and the lives of those we love. If God has given us the power of life and death in the little muscle in our mouth, we may as well use it! Just like my friend I told you about yesterday, I believe if we speak in agreement with what God has to say about healing and restoration in our lives, we ourselves, body, mind, and spirit, also come into agreement with that word. Just to say something as simple as 'God, I thank You that You forgive all my sins, and You heal all my diseases.' (see Psalm 103:2-5) I don't think it has to be complex or bizarre. I think it can be very effective if it's simple and sincere.

Let all that I am praise the Lord; may I never forget the good things he does for me. He forgives all my sins and heals all my diseases. He redeems me from death and crowns me with love and tender mercies. He fills my life with good things. My youth is renewed like the eagle’s (strong, overcoming and soaring)! (Psalm 103:2-5)

No comments:

These are just my thoughts on things related to my daily walk with God. I've always been a journal-keeper, and this is the area that demands most of the space in every journal I've ever kept. This is my passion, and I hope that by sharing my thoughts on the things I'm going through, I might be able to bless you in some way. Enjoy.