Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Let me tell you what He has done.

Sometimes just hearing something that God is doing or has done in some one's life is all it takes to stir me up and get me over-the-top excited about the God we serve. So, I have such a story to share. It is a little thing, really. But it was very cool, and unmistakably God.

This past Sunday, our church hosted a car show for the community. There were tons of cars, kids games, fire truck rides, a burn-out competition, free snow cones, a DJ and a band, and food! I had offered to help with the car show, and so my job was manning payment for the food. As I sat there, from about 11:30 until almost 3:00, taking people's food tickets and money, I had the opportunity to talk to almost everyone who was there that day, since most of them were hungry at some point (and since most of them were eating for free...who's gonna pass up free food?!).

As the day wore on, the traffic to the food line got slower and slower. Eventually, the fire truck rides started up, and the pick-up and drop-off spot happened to be only about 10 yards away from me. At some point in the afternoon, a mom, who I had noticed a few times throughout the day, and who I had spoken with briefly as she went through the food line, put her two girls on the fire truck, and sat down in a chair very close to where I was sitting. So, I started a conversation, asking about her day, her girls, and so on. We talked for quite a while (as the fire truck rides were about 10 minutes long). The longer we talked, the more I could sense her relaxing and letting her guard down a bit. I could tell that, all in all, she felt a little uncomfortable with her surroundings that day, and it was a bit too much for her to take in. But in our ten minutes of conversation, she seemed to forget it all and relax.

The fire truck returned. The kids got off. And my new friend Brooke walked off. That was the end of that really. I didn't see her again for the rest of the day. I didn't think much of it. I was busy with other things going on and with talking to other people.

At about 3:30 - almost an hour and a half after I had spoken with Brooke - I decided to head for home. It had been a long day, and I was just thinking of getting home and relaxing. As I walked through the field on my way to the truck, I was stopped in my tracks by an instant - I mean ALL OF A SUDDEN, out of nowhere - image in my mind. In that moment, I realized I had met Brooke before - about eight months ago. I saw her clearly in my mind, standing outside in the freezing cold winter weather, just as I had seen her when we first met.

Last December, I was going to a friend's apartment to drop something off. As I drove up to her building, I noticed a young mother outside with a few small children. For a moment, my eyes met hers, and I felt flooded with what she was feeling - love for her kids, and immense loneliness and sadness. I admired her for taking the time to be outside with them on such a cold and windy winter day. And I thought how lucky those little girls were to have a mom that would take the time for them the way she was. Then I tried to go on about my business, when God stepped in on me. He put it on my heart to do something for her so that she would know that He loves her and that He sees her. As I left my friend's house, I tried for a moment to ignore it - I was busy and in a hurry and really didn't have time to do what He was asking me to do. But I knew in my heart that He was reaching out to her, and if He was willing to use me to do that, then I must be willing to be used.

So, I went down the road to McDonald's and bought a gift card. Then I drove back to my friend's apartment, stopping before I got to her building. I was relieved, and also a little nervous, to see that the mother was still outside. I stopped my van, and rolled the window down. Nope. It's best to get out, I decided. So I got out, and approached her. I kept my distance, knowing that she would very likely be wondering what on earth I was doing. I held the card out to her, and briefly explained that God had put it on my heart to do this for her so that she could take her kids somewhere fun for lunch. She took the card and thanked me. I could hear a little disbelief in her voice, and gratitude. And I could see tears beginning to build in her eyes. I wished her a wonderful day, got in my van and drove off.

Several times since then, I've pulled into my friend's apartment building, and have wondered if that mom and her kids still lived there. I haven't seen them again since then. Until Sunday.

I thought about this after it happened, and I wondered if I could have counted this second meeting as a coincidence. Maybe, if I had realized it on my own. Maybe if I would have made the connection while we were sitting there talking. But on my own, I had NO idea. On my own, I would never have made that connection. I might not have really even given her much more of a thought, seeing as I spoke with so many people that day. On my own, I'm sure my mind would have blended her in with the rest of the crowd. But I was not left on my own. God had something else in mind. And I am certain that he brought us together again for His own will and purpose. And the coolest thing about it was that He kept it to Himself until it was all said and done, so that I could not write it off as coincidence or take any of the credit for it. But it was awesome the way He revealed it to me...more of a reminder to me that He is always working... a reminder that He accomplishes His plan through US - through those who are willing to be used by Him - and He uses us in very ordinary ways to do what will some day prove to be very extraordinary things in and for His kingdom. I am amazed by His ways.

No comments:

These are just my thoughts on things related to my daily walk with God. I've always been a journal-keeper, and this is the area that demands most of the space in every journal I've ever kept. This is my passion, and I hope that by sharing my thoughts on the things I'm going through, I might be able to bless you in some way. Enjoy.